Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Google's Antitrust

     According to our textbook (link here), about 65% of the search engine market is owned by Google.  As is obvious for anyone that uses Google extensively, a lot of their services are intertwined.  They use their applications to enhance their other applications and their search engine often directs their users to more Google services and applications.  It helps keep uniformity for their users and is extremely beneficial.  Their competitors however believe that there are antitrust implications and it could be considered a monopoly.
   This comes off to me as a bit ridiculous, and even immature.  These companies, including Microsoft, Yahoo, and AT&T, and major corporations and have been out-done by Google for years.  I think it is a bit excessive to claim a monopoly because Google links its search results to its other applications.  Not only does this actually benefit Google users, it is simply a good business practice.  Now it might be obvious that I am a big advocate of Google's services.  I love having all my information and applications intertwined.  If Yahoo wants to do this with their Messenger, News, and E-mail applications, not only would I be fine with it, I would applaud them for being smart.
     I believe that one company promoting their company is completely fine and expected.  They are simply using a service that they provide, to promote their other services and enhance all of their users' overall experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment